The site was built for Thomas Mann as a grain and general free stores circa 1863. The building was demolished in the spring of 1995, however the facade was retained due to its grade A listing as a building of significant interest. It is assumed that a fire on November 18th 1963 which started at A J & S Stern’s furniture factory also on James Watt street may have added to the building’s derelict state, resulting in its demolition.
Glasgow’s buildings at risk register lists the facade as being in very poor condition, however it only poses a moderate risk.
The facade is of a tall classical warehouse, with 3 storeys, a basement, attic and 13 bays. It is of the Neoclassical style.
Architectural features: ashlar frontage, ground floor channelled, 3 outer bays shallow advanced, broad band course over ground floor gives base for Roman Doric pilasters supporting entablature with deep frieze into which attic windows inserted. Central arched entrance with consoled keystone. Plain basement openings in plinth with 1 shute in each outer block. All ground floor windows segmentally headed with voussoirs. 1st and 2nd floor windows linked in tall architraved and lugged frames with ramped heads. Bold entablature with simplified triglyphs. Recessed parapet.
Upon visiting the site, it was noted that the facade was substantially covered in scaffolding, so much so that it was difficult to fully appreciate the grandeur and beauty of the facade; which we collectively decided was a real shame, thus it provoked us to conceptualise an idea that would celebrate the facades beauty whilst integrate this into a consistent and considered design.