143 Oxford Street

12A

Social interaction – The Trampoline Bridge

From the onset, it was clear that our building and its’ locale were both at risk. The area is very accessible, it can reached by means of car, subway or foot and is only ten minutes from the heart of Glasgow’s’ City Centre. Situated so close to the CBD of Glasgow and the nearby sheriff court, we thought our locale, much like the surrounding areas would have a large footfall and greater social interaction whether it be on a residential or commercial basis. However, this was not the case. With regeneration projects already underway to the south, Glasgow city to the North, the sheriff court to the West and a combination of residential/commercial building to the East, our locale finds itself out with the liveliness’ and interaction from Glasgow it so desperately seeks.

For our proposal, we wanted to reignite the former successful drapery warehouse and the Laurieston area. We wanted to expose the area out with its’ own bubble and reintroduce it back into the wider community of Glasgow. We decided to implement a ‘trampoline bridge,’ in place of Glasgow Bridge. Our thought process behind this is that it creates a physical convergence point of interest, whereby people can come together, socialise by way of ‘trampolining’ and get to know one another as well as the area. Furthermore, this event attracts a wide array of people and does not limit its diversity, appealing to all religions, ages and ethnicities across Glasgow, breaking the social boundaries we feel our locale has.

At end of the bridge marks the beginning of our Laurieston area. By way of this event, our locale will receive a greater footfall. A greater footfall leads to local businesses’ receiving more business, which eventually, creates more jobs. Further down the line, said business and jobs creates more revenue for the area, which can be reinvested into the area in an attempt to restore the Laurieston back to an area of economic success.

Sketches of 143 Oxford Street.

PROPOSAL

When we researched our site, it was evident that the main problem was the disconnection between the northern and southern areas, both psychologically and physically. Previous attempts of regeneration within the area focused on the buildings within the site, however, these have failed to restore the Laurieston area back to an area of economic success which it once was. Contrary to the previous attempt of regeneration, we feel the problem stems from the disconnection our locale has with Glasgow through the interference of the River Clyde. To combat the above issue, we decided to implement a trampoline bridge to increase footfall within the area. The bridge is designed to act as a convergence point, and the exit leads into the start of the Laurieston area. We believe this interactive and playable concept of the trampoline will help break the barrier between Laurieston and the wider Glasgow area.

https://www.regardpost.com/2017/08/still-waiting-trampoline-bridge/

https://walkerart.org/collections/artworks/spoonbridge-and-cherry

Previous example for regenerating our site.

143 Oxford st. is located in Laurieston, district in the Gorbals area of Glasgow. By the late 19th century, it had become densely populated due to industrialisation. There was social/council housing provided for the working class, resulting in the aforementioned densely packed area. However, since the late 20th century, much or the area has been demolished and now redeveloped, implementing new residential housing and commercial buildings.

This leads to the disconnection from central Glasgow. Therefore, modern, low rise apartments are under development in an attempt to re-connect this part of central Glasgow to wider Glasgow, breaking down the barrier of the exclusion zone. Having spoken to the locals of the area, this exclusion from the Glasgow area, as well ongoing issue of crime has resulted in the area becoming less an less desirable to stay in.

Laurieston Transformational Regeneration Area – Phase 1A

This development of 200 affordable homes forms the first phase of regeneration for the Laurieston area of Glasgow. Working alongside Page/Park, Elder and Cannon were asked to design 80 units, including the prominent southernmost flatted block and 2 housing terraces, offering diversity to the masterplan.

https://www.urbanrealm.com/buildings/1027/Laurieston_Transformational_Regeneration_Area%2C_Phase_1A_.html

September 18th 11:11 am

12C

143 Oxford Street is located in Laurieston, which lies in the western area of the old Gorbals.  The former drapery warehouse was originally built in 1928 by C J McNair after a tenement was demolished to make way for it.

We visited our site at the start of the project to understand and explore both the building and area.

We noticed that it is currently very empty. The majority of shops were closed. There were very few people around. Despite having multiple transport links within the area, few people actually stop. It is a through route with little reason for people to stop or visit. Consequently there is not much of a community as a lot of people just come and go…

However the site and area does have a lot of potential. 

 

September 18th 2:49 pm

Day 1 – 12B

Tuesday 18th

We paid a visit to our locale and started looking for some locals that can give us information about it, regarding mostly its condition, its history and what the future of it can be.After talking with two different people, a shop owner and a restaurant owner that know the place and have formed opinions and ideas concerning the building’s previous, current and future situation, we decided to explore the area and see what the neighborhood looks like

September 18th 2:39 pm

Conglomerate

 

Originally constructed in 1928 by C J McNair, 143 Oxford Street is one of the few surviving early buildings of Laurieston’s rapidly changing urban landscape. The former drapery warehouse is a testament to early 20th century construction methods, featuring a coursed ashlar Art-Deco front elevation, well proportioned pilasters and deep cornice. Currently the upper stories are abandoned, with only the ground floor inhabited by a local shop-owner named Abdul, who has lived around the Gorbals for the past 18 years. There are rumours of that the warehouse was once inhabited by Franz Ferdinand studio and other Art collectives, however that is now a distant memory.

 

 

 

However what struck us about the building was not it’s beautiful street elevation, rather it’s unusual side and rear elevations. Upon further inspection you witness the two storey concrete extension to the top, completed in 1937 by Whyte, Galloway & Nicol. Furthermore, as you analyse all four elevations, it becomes clear this building is a conglomerate, merging ashlar, brick and concrete components. In-fact, upon studying the locale we discovered that this was emblematic of the entire area.

 

September 18th 1:35 pm